First off, I never ate Mac and Cheese growing up and my first experience of it was that nasty stuff in a box that my husband seems to love so much, which was not a good experience. I told him that he should stop buying the boxes and I would make it myself. I have tried a few different recipes and they’ve all been good, but nothing that was particularly exceptional.
Then I made this. I didn’t know Mac and Cheese could be so good.
Yes, that’s bacon on top. A last minute addition courtesy of my husband. He gets excited whenever I tell him I’m going to make this, we’ve been a little crazed over it the past few weeks.
Favourite Macaroni and Cheese
Modified from Real Simple October 2001
1lb elbow macaroni
1 tablespoon butter
1 jalapeno, minced
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon coarse-grain mustard
1/2 pound extra-sharp cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
4 strips of thick cut bacon, sliced
- Cook Macaroni according to package instructions; drain well. Return to pot and set aside.
- Meanwhile cook the bacon until crispy. Set aside, covered.
- In a medium pan, melt the butter over a medium heat. Saute the jalapeno for about a minute and then add the flour. Cook for another 2 minutes making sure you stir constantly. Whisk in the milk and heat to boiling. Add the mustard and cheeses, stir until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni and toss. Heat to warm through.
- Serve with the bacon crumbled on top.
Posted at Tasty Tuesday, hosted by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam